Young Carers - Schools
Action for Family Carers is funded by Essex County Council and the five Clinical Commissioning Groups through the Supporting Carers in Essex Partnership and Comic Relief to work in every secondary school in the twelve districts of Essex. Under this programme each school will have weekly access to a Young Carer Support Worker for an entire term followed by half termly drop-ins, the support offered will include:
• Individual support: for identified Young Carers, support can be provided within the school through weekly 1:1 sessions with the students for a school term.
• Teacher training: Available to talk to all or selected staff about the issues Young Carers can experience especially within the education environment. Helping staff recognise the identifying characteristics of a possible Young Carer and what support the school can develop and provide.
• Governor training: Available to talk governors about the issues Young Carers can experience especially within the education environment. Helping staff recognise the identifying characteristics of a possible Young Carer and what support the school can develop and provide.
• Assemblies: These assemblies aim to give students a greater understanding of who Young Carers are, an insight into their caring role, and highlight some of the issues they can face. The presentation allows students the opportunity to ask questions and possibly identify themselves as a Young Carer.
• PSHE lessons: These PSHE lessons are specifically tailored for your school to increase awareness of Young Carers and explore the issues surrounding being a Young Carer. The pupils will be encouraged to join in class discussions and explore caring situations through case studies and other interactive material. We offer flexibility so our lessons can be adapted to fit time constraints or be incorporated into a schools pastoral day.
• Open Evenings: contact with parents via open evenings or Year 7 induction evenings to encourage self-identification, promote awareness of Young Carers and the support services which is provided both in the school and in the local area.
Each school will also be provided with an Information pack about the lives of Young Carers, Current Legislation, support tools for schools.
Back to top
Back to homepage